You may have seen a waste transfer station before, or be wondering what happens with your waste after it’s been dumped into a skip. Waste transfer stations are the middle man between your waste leaving your house and going to its final destination. Our thorough guide explains everything you need to know about waste transfer stations and how they work! To find out more, keep on reading!
A waste transfer station, also known as a material recycling facility, is a commercial site where waste is dropped off to be sorted and recycled safely. It’s an important part of waste management as these facilities either recycle the waste to be repurposed, or it is used for energy. Waste transfer stations are large facilities that accommodate the needs of cranes, tipping trucks and skips so that waste can be continuously brought to the centre and sorted.
In the simplest steps, this is how waste transfer stations work:
- Waste from construction sites, homes…etc is brought into the facility and weighed.
- The waste is then tipped by the truck, so it can go back to collecting skips and helping customers.
- A variety of machines and tools will sort through the waste, as well as human screening. Materials will be separated into landfill, recycling and reprocessing.
- Once separated, the waste can be compacted and reloaded, ready to be taken to its next destination.
Yes! Waste transfer stations hold a range of benefits which you may not have realised!
- The method of collecting waste and bringing it to the management centre is actually a cost-effective option because it adds a midway point to the recycling process.
- Large vehicles holding a lot of waste also reduced the number of collection vehicles on the road, meaning it is more economical.
- Having a waste transfer station actually makes things safer, as dangerous or hazardous waste can be spotted.
- You can be assured that waste is being dealt with properly, because waste transfer stations use a documentation process to record waste coming in and out of the station. This means it is being dealt with in the most appropriate way possible.
If you’re looking for a reliable waste management company, look no further. Here at Batesy Skip Hire, we specialise in helping you safely dispose of your materials. To find out more about our skip hire or waste recycling, feel free to contact us today for more information. Our team will be happy to help you and answer any questions you may have!